Sunday, June 10, 2012

Fahter's Day

According to Wikipedia, Father's Day is a celebration honoring fathers and celebrating fatherhood, paternal bonds, and the influence of fathers in society.  What I find interesting is just a month ago (May),  we celebrated Mother's Day and the stores were packed, the restaurants were standing room only, and more flowers and candy were delivered than any other day of the year.  Whereas for Father's Day many stores  only have two rows of cards in the stationery sections.

There's so much attention given to mothers, and being a mother I appreciate it.  For many, including myself, we had disappointing relationships with our fathers or no relationship.  However, truth be told, we wouldn't exist or be here if we didn't have "fathers."  It takes a man and a woman to bring a child into this world.  For those of you (us) that have strained relationships with our fathers, I encourage you to be bold and make a leap of forgiveness, reconciliation and demonstrate love towards your father this year.  You may say, Wendy you don't know what I've been through, you are correct, I don't, but I know what I went through and how my relationship healed between me and my father after I experienced abuse, because I was willing to extend an olive branch,  so I know there's hope.

Sometimes when people disappoint their loved ones, or themselves for that matter, they don't know how to ask for forgiveness.  Sometimes they may even feel they are too deep to get out.  It all starts with two words, "I'm sorry."  I also want to say for the wonderful men out there that are great fathers, great surrogate fathers  who stand in the shoes where fathers are missing, we applaud you for doing what should be done.

A local "tradition" during Father's Day Weekend is attending the Playboy Jazz Festival at the Hollywood Bowl.  An icon associated with this weekend is "TV Dad", Bill Cosby.  So I will close with one of his quotes, "Every closed eye is not sleeping, and every open eye is not seeing."  So fathers be careful the example you show your children whether you think they are looking or not.  They just may be peeking at you right now!

Healing Without Hate:  It's a choice. It's a lifestyle. Pass it on!

Visit www.WendyGladney.com &  www.forgivingforliving.org.   You can email her at wendy.gladney@gmail.com. Also follow her blog:  Wendygladney.blogspot.com. Wendy is featured on Radio Free 102.3 KJLH on Dominique DiPrima's Front Page Friday Mornings @ 5:00am.

No comments:

Post a Comment