Sunday, August 12, 2012

Work While It Is Yet Day


For the past several weeks it seems like every time I turn around someone close to me made their transition from this life to the next.  It's sobering because it really shows the brevity of life.  As I reflect on my childhood growing up with my grandmother she always seemed to be in full motion doing something.  In my childlike tone I would ask her, "why are you always so busy?"  She would respond by saying, "there's a lot of work that needs to be done and it will be night soon."

Of course I didn't totally comprehend what she meant back then, but as I continued to grow and progress through life the scripture found in John 9:4 where it says:  "I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day; the night cometh, when no man can work, " resonated in my ears loud and strong.  What I also find hilarious is that now my children and various friends and family members often say to me, "Wendy go sit down somewhere."  Well, as my grandmother said, I can't because there's much work that needs to be done.

The problem I think with many of us is we are often "busy" but are we really taking care of "business?"  Do we have purpose?  Do we add value?  Do we make the lives of the people we touch better in some kind of way, or are we draining?  Are we negative?  Do we drag people down because in reality we're not really happy with our own lives.

This past week Forgiving For Living held a workshop in Riverside for young ladies between 13 - 18 years old focusing on health and life skills.  Interestingly on the very day we did our workshop a news story broke that stated a sex-trafficking ring was identified right in the Inland Empire.  The story said  "gang members used Inland Empire High Schools to recruit underage girls (12 - 15) to work as prostitutes in the Los Angeles area according to the FBI." 

If we want our lives to matter and mean something we must be mindful of our youth.  So many things that were fought for in previous generations are being destroyed right before our very eyes.  What does that say about us and what we are allowing to happen on our watch?  If you don't know where to begin or what to do regarding "working while it is yet day" start with a young person that crosses your path!
 
Healing Without Hate:  It's a choice. It's a lifestyle. Pass it on!

Visit www.WendyGladney.com &  www.forgivingforliving.org.   You can email her at wendy.gladney@gmail.com. Also follow her blog:  Wendygladney.blogspot.com. Wendy is featured on Radio Free 102.3 KJLH on Dominique DiPrima's Front Page Friday Mornings @ 5:00am.

No comments:

Post a Comment