Monday, November 7, 2011

Planetree

Over the years working with my nonprofit, Forgiving For Living, Inc., I've had the privilege of working with and helping various people that crossed my path and came into my life. What I truly know for sure is when you sow into the lives of others, it definitely comes full circle back into your life. What's interesting is it may not always be from the person you plant a seed, but good works always blossom somewhere.

This past week I had an opportunity to go with one of my girls, Azure Antoinette, to a conference in Nashville at the Grand Ole Opry and it was a surprise of a lifetime. Besides the venue being amazing with superb service, relationships were formed that I believe will last a lifetime. First of all, whoever thought that Nashville was boring and just for people who were "country" well, let me tell you....I became country! As a brother and sister team once coined, "I'm a little bit of country, and a little bit of rock and roll." I'm a "little bit of country, a little bit of gospel and a lot of R& B!" The blessing of attending this conference was I met some wonderful and exciting people doing great work with helping people heal through Patient Centered Care and who really want to put caring back into helping others.

The conference was put on by a group called Planetree. They're a nonprofit organization that provides education and information in a collaborative community of healthcare organizations, facilitating efforts to create patient centered care in healing environments. As a global catalyst and leader Planetree promotes the development and implementation of innovative models of healthcare that focus on healing and nurturing body, mind and spirit.

For those of you that know me and my mission, this was right up my alley. I truly believe that forgiveness and letting go of the things that so entangle our lives is a step towards healing the body, mind and spirit. Research shows that people who hold onto hate, bitterness and anger increase the probability of increased health problems such as drug use, alcoholism and cancer to name a few. According to an article by Elizabeth Scott, M.S., on "The Benefits of Forgiveness," she states: A study found that forgiveness to be positively associated with five measures of health: physical symptoms, medications used, sleep quality, fatigue, and somatic complaints. For those of us who desire to help others, this is a check up to look in the mirror and make sure we've let go of unnecessary "stuff" from our past.

In closing, thank you Jim, Heidi, Michael, Sonya and all of you at Planetree for planting a seed in me that I look forward to see how it will blossom and grow. Keep up the good work!

Healing Without Hate: It's a choice. It's a lifestyle. Pass it on!

Visit www.WendyGladney.com & www.forgivingforliving.org. You can email her at wendy.gladney@gmail.com. Also follow her blog: Wendygladney.blogspot.com. Wendy is featured on Radio Free 102.3 KJLH on Dominique DiPrima's Front Page Friday Mornings @ 5:00am.

No comments:

Post a Comment