Saturday, December 3, 2011

Mother Nature

Recently winds hit the Southland drastically like I can't remember and I'm a lifelong resident of Southern California. Over the last several months I have spent time and money updating, improving and fixing up my home. It's amazing how one night can change what you've worked on for months.

The morning after the major winds swept through the city my daughter called me and shared how her car was damaged and that she wasn't sure where to start. After we calmed nerves, assessed the damage (and of course I was praying as mother's do), we put together the plan to get the ball moving with the city, the insurance company, and everything else she would need to accomplish to get her life back in order and return to work.

On the same morning my son was due into the International Terminal at LAX from Australia, but his flight had a lot of challenges, he was re-routed from Sydney to Melbourne back to Sydney and finally into LAX many hours later.

What all of this has taught me is there are many things we just don't have control over, especially when it comes to mother nature. What it also made crystal clear is that we cannot put our hope or faith in material things. Close to three decades ago when I moved to Los Angeles for college, I attended Mount Zion Baptist Church where Dr. E.V. Hill was the pastor and he used to say, "wear the things of this world loosely." In other words don't let them control you.

Health, love, life and family are truly the things that we need to honor and hold onto. Let go of the things that so entangle your life and keep you from enjoying what really matters. Learning to let go of things and "release" is the third step from the ten steps of "Healing Without Hate: How To Forgive To Live." TM


Healing Without Hate: It's a choice. It's a lifestyle. Pass it on!

Visit www.WendyGladney.com & www.forgivingforliving.org. You can email her at wendy.gladney@gmail.com. Also follow her blog: Wendygladney.blogspot.com. Wendy is featured on Radio Free 102.3 KJLH on Dominique DiPrima's Front Page Friday Mornings @ 5:00am.

No comments:

Post a Comment