Monday, March 12, 2012

FEAR

This morning I woke up and I thought about all the things I want to do in and with my life and I asked myself why I wasn't doing them. Of course there are the practical answers like, I have to make a living, I have people depending on me, I have responsibilities, etc. Then I thought about a statement a friend recently said, "wouldn't life be interesting if we lived without fear." Don't get me wrong, there are some things I believe are good to fear. Growing up as a little girl my grandmother taught us the fear of God, and of course we were afraid of what she would do to us if we acted up, but I'm talking about not fearing what man can or cannot do to or for you.

As I shared this thought with a neighbor who stopped by for a cup of tea, she said, "Wendy you do a lot already, what else do you want to do?" I responded by saying, there are a lot of things running around in my head and I need to get them out. Of course she laughed and said then just get them out. After she left, I pulled out a piece of paper and a pen and I just started writing down all of the things I wanted for my life. I separated them into two categories, personal and professional. I thought about goals and unfinished dreams. Then I thought about what do I need to do to make them happen, when I was honest, I realized the main things I desired to do in my life, it was fear holding me back.

Suddenly as I was writing everything down, I remembered a definition I once read about the word FEAR. False Evidence Appearing Real. Then I thought about what scared me about making that phone call to someone who could help me with a project, or why didn't I just tell someone that they were not the right partner for me, or how bad would it really be if I stuck to exercising and watching what I ate? Sounds funny when I say it out loud or read what I wrote down, but it is true, we are afraid or fear what actually may happen if we're honest, do what we need to do, or step out on faith. I am going to work on doing a better job of letting go of what so easily entangles me and just focus on what is and what can be. I encourage you do to the same.

Marianne Williamson once said (and Nelson Mandela repeated it in his Inauguration Speech in 1994)

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us....We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."


Healing Without Hate: It's a choice. It's a lifestyle. Pass it on!

Visit www.WendyGladney.com & www.forgivingforliving.org. You can email her at wendy.gladney@gmail.com. Also follow her blog: Wendygladney.blogspot.com. Wendy is featured on Radio Free 102.3 KJLH on Dominique DiPrima's Front Page Friday Mornings @ 5:00am.

No comments:

Post a Comment